You can't swim very fast without good technique, but good technique alone
does not make you fast. You have to include speed sets now and then to
What to Watch For
- Watch your stroke count. Try to keep your sprinting stroke
count within 3 SPL (strokes-per-length) of your CSS stroke count.
- Not enough rest between repeats. Be totally rested before starting
each sprint repeat.
Speed Focus Workout
There is only one workout in this set.
- Group Workout
- Key Workout - None. There is no separate key workout. Generally
speaking, you should be doing only one speed focus workout per week.
- Recovery Workout - None. You should not have a speed focus
during a recovery workout. (But you may include short-distance, low-repeat
speed sets in all workouts during your taper and recovery periods.)
- Video Clips - Don't look at sprinters going fast. Look at endurance
swimmers going fast. Notice how distance swimmers are going very fast
(faster than we all swim at top speed) with a 2-beat kick for most of
the race. But also notice how they all start and finish with a strong
6-beat kick. Here is a clip of Kate Ziegler vs Laure Manaudou from an
800m race: (you can find more distance race clips on YouTube):
Return to Workout Directory.
Copyright © 2011 Breakwater Sports