Kicking Focus 2
More kicking work - the objective this week is to connect the kick to
Technique Focus Points
- Kick from the hips.
- Kick compactly, in the shadow of your body.
- Minimize knee bend.
- Point your toes back, but keep your foot relaxed.
- Rotational kick with lower leg as recovering arm enters the water.
- Rotational kick with lower leg as lower arm transitions from catch
What to Watch For
- Not kicking. Don't stop kicking. Even with a wetsuit.
For longer distances you can use a relaxed two-beat kick or a compact
four- or six-beat kick.
- Slipping. When you attempt a rotational kick with the wrong
(upper leg, for freestyle), your hip is already at the surface and has
no place to go. You will feel like you slipped.
Kicking Focus Workouts
- Video Clips - Kicking
- Bottom Up Swimming. A set of three articles by Coach Emmett
Hines on how to develop a proper six-beat kick and connect it up to
a full-body stroke:
With Yourself - Another article on kicking by Emmett Hines. This
one is the best description I have seen on how to do the two-beat kick
the right way. (Above I am not saying "Don't use the two-beat
kick" but rather don't use the two-beat kick exclusively.)
Return to Workout Index.
Copyright © 2011 Breakwater Sports