Solution: Catch Early
Catch early and pull near the surface:
- Reach full extension.
- Lift your elbow towards the surface and get your hand and forearm
vertical under your elbow.
- Keep your upper arm and elbow as far forward as possible as you complete
- Then when you have your catch (and only then), begin
pulling your arm back, always keeping your elbow above your hand.
Breathe early in the stroke cycle:
- As your stroking hand passes your face, roll your face (with your
body roll) to the air.
- Leave your forward arm extended while you breathe.
- Breathe quickly and get your head right back down (eyes down, looking
at the bottom).
How did she get to this point? See
Good Catch from the Side.
Good Catch and Pull
from the Front
These shots are from my very favorite freestyle DVD for illustrating
efficient freestyle technique: Go
Swim Freestyle with Karlyn Pipes-Neilsen.
Copyright © 2011 Breakwater Sports